With support from Chatham County Schools, we introduced our first school site in Fall 2014 at Chatham Middle School in Siler City. Our CIS CC Student Support Specialist leverages services for students, tracks measurable outcomes (grades, behavior, and attendance) and coordinates individual and small group supports of varying intensities for case-managed students. School-wide prevention, intervention, and parent engagement programs strengthen the school community.
How the program works:
- Addresses the underlying issues that impact a student’s school attendance with parent engagement, identification and support for basic needs (food, shelter, medical services) and student motivation (Attendance Buddy mentoring, incentive programs).
- Addresses the underlying issues that lead to a student’s problem behavior with parent engagement, case managed small group and individual socio-emotional learning intervention and enrichment programs (e.g. Engaging Men and Boys nonviolence group, YOGA for Youth), and school-wide programs such as bullying prevention programs and practical support for participation in extra-curricular activities (eg. transportation).
- Addresses the underlying issues that lead to a student’s poor coursework performance with teacher and school personnel engagement, parent involvement, Lunch Buddies, during and after school Tutoring/Mentoring, and school wide programs to inform parents about curriculum for their child’s grade level and to motivate goal setting.
- Engages parents/guardians to actively support the education and health of their children with individual outreach (case managed services) and school-wide community events (grade level parent information nights, monthly dinners, Health Fairs, heritage/cultural celebrations).
- To volunteer with youth at Chatham Middle School, you must complete Chatham County School’s online application.
- If working with youth outside of Chatham Middle School, complete CIS CC’s Volunteer Application and provide 4 references.
- Attend a three hour in-person training session.
- Complete a free online Child Maltreatment Training course.
- Complete criminal history and driving check (for volunteers outside Chatham Middle School).
- Participate in an interview by a screening committee.